A Number From Tonight

Place to post your images and they may be critiqued.
Bobby Nance

Re: A Number From Tonight

Post by Bobby Nance »

That's not fair, then! Don't they know that green concrete will drive unknowning photographers mad? :mrgreen:

Well, seriously, in that case, I'd say it looks fine in your last version.

Bobby Nance

Post by Bobby Nance »

Hey, that pub shot makes an awesome b/w/ Give it a bumb in shadow and highlight recovery first and then convert.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Bobby Nance wrote:Hey, that pub shot makes an awesome b/w/ Give it a bumb in shadow and highlight recovery first and then convert.
I had made a B&W of an earlier version that worked out rather well. I'll do it with this one as well!

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Okay, here is my B&W version of the image from yesterday:

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

I have found that night shots can be pretty hard to shoot. These new cameras seems to want to make the night scene look like daylight. I just went through that with an old barn. It was so dark I could barely see the barn but when I took a reading in the dark area, it look like daylight. Finally had to use the sky to get reading I needed.
Three Scores and 14 years old and still going strong.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

JohnSR wrote:I have found that night shots can be pretty hard to shoot. These new cameras seems to want to make the night scene look like daylight. I just went through that with an old barn. It was so dark I could barely see the barn but when I took a reading in the dark area, it look like daylight. Finally had to use the sky to get reading I needed.
That is what I'm seeing. Maybe using spot metering on a brighter area would help.

By the way, I posted the B&W version of the pub on Fred Miranda. I got one comment back. He said that "it looked like a background waiting for a subject". He may have had a point!

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

[quote="jon.oman]

By the way, I posted the B&W version of the pub on Fred Miranda. I got one comment back. He said that "it looked like a background waiting for a subject". He may have had a point![/quote]

I can see his point but what else could you do. There is nothing in the foreground to give it depth. The main thing the customer is happy so that is what really counts
Three Scores and 14 years old and still going strong.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

JohnSR wrote:[

So true!