Small Town Nightscapes with S5 and Tokina 12-24

Place to post your images and they may be critiqued.
Bobby Nance

Small Town Nightscapes with S5 and Tokina 12-24

Post by Bobby Nance »

Any feedback on these would be appreciated. I am trying to learn to "see" with a wide angle lens and need all the help I can get!

JohnSR

Re: Small Town Nightscapes with S5 and Tokina 12-24

Post by JohnSR »

Bobby, I like the colors. Too bad the lights are so bright. Wonder if anyone here can help with how to photograph this type of situation. I also run into it every so often and haven't came up with an answer. How about it Jon, any ideas?
Three Scores and 14 years old and still going strong.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Bobby,

I think the secret with a wide lens is to get in close. Something like images 3, 5, and 6. You always need detail in the foreground to lead your eye into the image (like #3). I have seen images where the foreground had a closeup of wild flowers, and the background showed a mountain range. The foreground is the first thing to be seen, and if done correctly, it will lead your eye into the image.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

JohnSR wrote:Bobby, I like the colors. Too bad the lights are so bright. Wonder if anyone here can help with how to photograph this type of situation. I also run into it every so often and haven't came up with an answer. How about it Jon, any ideas?
Exposure. We tend to try to convert nighttime images into daylight ones. Of course they still look different because there is normally more than one source of light. Something like lighting a product shot with the old incandescent photo bulbs.

The only way to tone down the lights in the images would be to reduce the exposure, and lose the shadow detail. The DR is just too great! But, it all depends on what the photographer had in mind.

Here is a photograph I made for the owner of the building. She had seen some of my nighttime images, and wanted me to make some of her business. I chose to overexpose the image a bit to bring out the detail in the business sign at the right. That made the light source more pronounced, but I think it is in keeping with the nighttime atmosphere.

Bobby Nance

Post by Bobby Nance »

Thanks for the feedback and advice.

I thought the glare from the lights was worse with this particular lens than I have previouly noticed with other lenses. I also was bothered by a very hazy look when looking through the viewfinder. It's possible there was some condensation somewhere contributing to a smearing of the lamps, or it could just be the way that particular lens behaves. Trying a smaller aperture may help, and of course reducing exposure time can help, too, but I don't really want to lose shadow detail if I can possibly help it.

I shot these in raw and jpeg, so I'll probably see what the Fuji converter does with the raw files. It may handle the highlights more gracefully. We'll see.

Thanks again!

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

Nicely done, Jon. Which camera and did you have much trouble with WB on getting the photo. Don't think a person could asked for much more as the lamp isn't overpowering.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

JohnSR wrote:Nicely done, Jon. Which camera and did you have much trouble with WB on getting the photo. Don't think a person could asked for much more as the lamp isn't overpowering.
This was the D2x, but the WB was not the best in the world. Bobby pointed that out on either the above image, or another. I had to correct the RAW WB in PSCS3.

By the way, the customer ordered a 12x18 inch print, and has also asked me to photograph her home, both during the day, and at night.

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

jon.oman wrote: This was the D2x, but the WB was not the best in the world. Bobby pointed that out on either the above image, or another. I had to correct the RAW WB in PSCS3.

By the way, the customer ordered a 12x18 inch print, and has also asked me to photograph her home, both during the day, and at night.
Glad to hear the D2X is working well for you. So far am very happy with the wb and high iso on the D3. Haven't used the ExpoDisk in a long time.

Bobby Nance

Post by Bobby Nance »

Congratulations on your sales, Jon. It sounds like things are really picking up for you. Word of mouth from this customer ought to bring in a few others!

John, I hope you'll be sharing a lot of your D3 images. I'd love to see them.

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

Hi Bobby. Yes will post some photos if we ever get some weather to get out and shoot something. It snowed last night. Want to get up to Mt Rainier while the flowers are in bloom but not sure if they will do that this year as the park is still under 4 feet of snow. My son and granddaughter and I are planning a four day camping trip the 30th of June into the wilds of the Olympic mountains. Hope the weather gets better. Would like to get a good photo of the wild bears and mountain goats.