New Process, Old Image

Place to post your images and they may be critiqued.
jon.oman

New Process, Old Image

Post by jon.oman »

I found a way to process the NEF file from my converted D70. I created a CS5 camera profile. It works very well!

JohnSR

Re: New Process, Old Image

Post by JohnSR »

You lost me there Jon. Thought CS5 could process all the nef files. Did you do something to the camera to change the way nefs are written?? Nice photo though.
Three Scores and 14 years old and still going strong.

jon.oman

Re: New Process, Old Image

Post by jon.oman »

With the infrared converted D70, when I load in a NEF file into CS5, the whole image has a bright red cast to it. It takes a lot of work to get a proper false color image. B&W is not that bad to do, but still it takes a number of steps. I could work on an image for about 30 minutes before I get close to something I like.

Well, I found a program form Adobe called the 'DNG profile maker'. You take a NEF image and do a simple DNG export, while in Adobe RAW. You then load it into the profile maker. There are just two sliders that have to be adjusted by 100 %. Then you output a camera profile to the correct Adobe directory. The next time you read in an infrared NEF, you select this new profile under 'camera profile' tab in Adobe RAW. It automatically take out the bright red color, and creates a pretty good starting point. After that, you just need to do some simple levels, etc.