Shutter speed

Need help with a certain photography technique? Try posting it here for tips and tricks from the other members.
JohnSR

Shutter speed

Post by JohnSR »

Hey folks, Was doing some research in the past and ran across this article. If you ever wanted to make sure you have the correct shutter speed set in the camera, here is how you calculate it. :x

The common 1/100 inch COC limit has been applied to blur other than mis-focus blur. For example, Edward John Wall, in his 1889 A Dictionary of Photography for the Amateur and Professional Photographer, says:

To find how quickly a shutter must act to take an object in motion that there may be a circle of confusion less than 1/100in. in diameter, divide the distance of the object by 100 times the focus of the lens, and divide the rapidity of motion of object in inches per second by the results, when you have the longest duration of exposure in fraction of a second.
Three Scores and 14 years old and still going strong.

jon.oman

Re: Shutter speed

Post by jon.oman »

JohnSR wrote:Hey folks, Was doing some research in the past and ran across this article. If you ever wanted to make sure you have the correct shutter speed set in the camera, here is how you calculate it. :x

The common 1/100 inch COC limit has been applied to blur other than mis-focus blur. For example, Edward John Wall, in his 1889 A Dictionary of Photography for the Amateur and Professional Photographer, says:

To find how quickly a shutter must act to take an object in motion that there may be a circle of confusion less than 1/100in. in diameter, divide the distance of the object by 100 times the focus of the lens, and divide the rapidity of motion of object in inches per second by the results, when you have the longest duration of exposure in fraction of a second.
Yah, sure, I'm going to do that in my head! That's why the camera was made to do it!

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

Maybe we can get Bobby or Susan to work it out ;) I know we can forget Sparkey trying it. Rick went to photo school so maybe he can give us the short formula. His answer will probably be, turn the camera on in the auto mode and let it decide which is best. :) :)
Three Scores and 14 years old and still going strong.

Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

Too right.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

I'd say let the camera get the first go, and then check the histogram. Based on that, switch to manual, and alter as needed.