AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED

Discuss any lens that will fit Nikon DSLR's.
jon.oman

AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED

Post by jon.oman »

Guess what? I just bought this lens! I tested it out on my D700 this afternoon, shortly after the brown truck dropped it off. Here are a few test images:

By the way, I also got the camera backpack that you can see in image #3. This is all in preparation of the cruise late next year.

All of these images were at 14mm.....

Sparkey

Re: AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED

Post by Sparkey »

So you did buy it. Well done and hope it serves you well.

Regarding European air travel.
Read up on size and weight of luggage that you are allowed to carry on planes over here. Dont put camera gear in the hold.
One of the biggest cheap airlines is Ryanair and they are very restrictive on what you can carry on by size and also by weight.
Just my 2 cents worth as I no longer am able to bring my D3 to France on holidays as it eats up most of my carry on allowance.
Hence most of my shots are now with P7000. They also have a cage that is used to measure your baggage and if it dont fit comfortably then it dont go.
Most ruchsacks and large camera bags ( like my Lowepro camera bags ) dont fit.
If you only using the cruise ship you have no problem.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Sparkey wrote:So you did buy it. Well done and hope it serves you well.

Regarding European air travel.
Read up on size and weight of luggage that you are allowed to carry on planes over here. Dont put camera gear in the hold.
One of the biggest cheap airlines is Ryanair and they are very restrictive on what you can carry on by size and also by weight.
Just my 2 cents worth as I no longer am able to bring my D3 to France on holidays as it eats up most of my carry on allowance.
Hence most of my shots are now with P7000. They also have a cage that is used to measure your baggage and if it dont fit comfortably then it dont go.
Most ruchsacks and large camera bags ( like my Lowepro camera bags ) dont fit.
If you only using the cruise ship you have no problem.
Thanks for the travel tips!

This is the bag that I bought for the trip: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 ... kpack.html

Tamrac states that it can be used for carry on for US airlines. We will be flying to Barcelona Spain via a US carrier. That is where the cruise starts. I believe the end of the cruise is in Venice Italy. We fly out of there on a US carrier. I will confirm all this when we get closer to the trip. I do have a smaller bag that I could use, but I would not be able to carry everything I want to.

Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

I have a Lowepro like that too. Great size for carrying all the gear.

If you only going on US airlines you should be OK with that bag.

I have found that Ireland, England France, Germany and Spain will put you through the mill with camera gear. THey want to look at everything. Its the timers in the cameras according to one fella who wanted to swab the camera like they do on CSI. I asked what he was doing ? Checking for traces on explosives was the answer. I thought he was a camera buff and just wanted a look at my D3.
Barcelona is just over 2 hours from us in South of France.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Sparkey wrote:I have a Lowepro like that too. Great size for carrying all the gear.

If you only going on US airlines you should be OK with that bag.

I have found that Ireland, England France, Germany and Spain will put you through the mill with camera gear. THey want to look at everything. Its the timers in the cameras according to one fella who wanted to swab the camera like they do on CSI. I asked what he was doing ? Checking for traces on explosives was the answer. I thought he was a camera buff and just wanted a look at my D3.
Barcelona is just over 2 hours from us in South of France.
This is a new experience for me, it should be fun, at least I hope it will be!

Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

It will be great for you.
Photo opportunities will fill many cards. :D

It would be even better if we were in France at that time too.

or come to Ireland too you know you want to................. :o