Nikon D700

Discuss any Nikon DSLR body.
jon.oman

Nikon D700

Post by jon.oman »

The price listed at Adorama is $2999.00.

ImageImage

Here are the stats (as listed by Rick Shutterman):

12.1 megapixel FX (full-frame) CMOS sensor with high signal-to-noise ratio, wide dynamic range, and built-in self-cleaning sensor unit that minimizes dust.

ISO 200 – 6400: extendable up to 25600 (equivalent) and down to ISO 100 (equivalent).

5fps continuous shooting (8fps with optional MB-D10 battery pack with lithium-ion battery EN-EL4a or 8 AA batteries).

EXPEED image processing engine with 14-bit A/D conversion and 16-bit image processing for superb detail and tonal gradation.

Advanced Scene Recognition System combines the camera’s metering and AF sensors for precise exposures and sharply defined images.

Multi-CAM3500FX 51-point AF system. Individually selectable or configurable in 9-point, 21-point and 51-point coverage settings.

Picture Controls streamline in-camera image processing by enabling the pre-set customization of image parameters such as sharpening, contrast, brightness, hue and saturation in various color modes.

920,000 dot 3-inch VGA LCD monitor with wide, 170-degree viewing angle.

Live View with Autofocus enables composition of images by use of the LCD monitor. Two modes are supported: Handheld or Tripod.

DX Crop Mode can be automatically enabled when a DX format lens is attached.

Quick response: approx. 40 ms shutter-lag.

Active D-Lighting enables superior high-contrast images by automatically applying tone compensation at the moment of capture.

HDMI video output interface enables connection to high-definition video systems.

Intuitive ergonomics with optimized button placement for fast and comfortable handling.

Durable Magnesium alloy body: moisture and dust resistant.

Wireless LAN and Ethernet support via optional Wireless Transmitter WT-4.

kilm53

Re: Nikon D700

Post by kilm53 »

The price listed in the Uk is £1999...x$1.95...=$3898...cheap at half the price... :twisted:

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

If it has the same image quality of the D3, I think this is the one I may get. Now, that being said, I'll probably wait three years, and get it used for about $1000.00 USD. I should be able to save the money in that time!

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

Think that is going to be a very popular camera. With the body only weighing just over two pounds, its going to make a great walk-around camera.
Three Scores and 14 years old and still going strong.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

JohnSR wrote:Think that is going to be a very popular camera. With the body only weighing just over two pounds, its going to make a great walk-around camera.
But, when you add the tripod, flash, and other items, it is still going to be heavy!

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Short review in Popular Photography:

http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/5414/nikon-d700.html

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

Here is the best review I have seen on the D700. In fact, think he goes a little to deep for most of us to understand.
http://www.stillephotographie.at/NikonD700ENG

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

JohnSR wrote:Here is the best review I have seen on the D700. In fact, think he goes a little to deep for most of us to understand.
http://www.stillephotographie.at/NikonD700ENG
Good one John! I'll have to spend some time on it.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Interesting D700 fact. It will automatically detect a DX lens by default, and switch the camera into DX mode, with the normal 1.5 crop factor. You can also set DX mode manually in the menu, so that you can get the apparent reach with long lenses for wildlife. Nice feature.

I just checked the D3 manual, and you can do the same thing. How about it Peter and John? Have you tried DX mode for long lenses? Does it give you the apparent reach of DX with these cameras? If it does work, you should have the best of both worlds! The wide angle view of FF and the long reach of DX!

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

I haven't tried the crop mode yet and understand when using it, it is a equivalent to a 6mp. It seems to me if I use the FX mode and just crop to the same size as what the viewfinder shows as a DX crop, I should get about the same thing. Not sure about that though.