Nikon D810

Discuss any Nikon DSLR body.
Sparkey

Nikon D810

Post by Sparkey »

Picked up a used D810 yesterday in my local Nikon Dealer.
A Wedding Photographer from down country traded it in against a D 850 recently.
18.5 K clicks which seems low for a Pro unless he had a few of them.Of course he had. :lol:
Dealer threw in a MB-D12 Grip and a Lithium battery (EN EL15 ).
Both Lithium Batteries are only at 0 on battery life meter.
Got a great price so the D3 has a new friend.
Spent the whole of last night going through all the settings he had input.
Eventually I just reset to factory settings and started again the way I like it.
Jeez the files are huge and my iMac nearly shakes as it tries to Photoshop changes to an image.
Thinking of ordering Thoms guide for D810 as have always found his e books very good.
No chance of getting outside today as we have a storm/blizzard coming though shortly.
Country is in lockdown.

jon.oman

Re: Nikon D810

Post by jon.oman »

Congratulations! Once you get to know it, you will love it!

I have the D800 and it gives me amazing images.

Because of the image sizes, I had to upgrade my computer. I now have a system that can handle anything (at least for the next few camera iterations).

What are you using to process your NEF files? I still use Photoshop CS5. But, the last camera it could work with is the D800. I do not want to buy a subscription to the latest Photoshop. Well, if I get the D850, I will be forced to!

Have fun with your new camera, and stay safe.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

I have Thom's D800 guide. It answered all of my questions....

Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

I use Photoshop Elements 14 and mainly shoot in jpeg. Yes the 30mb files have already caused my iMac to really struggle. Looking at getting more Ram as soon as this snow disappears and the shops are open. Next week at earliest at this stage.
A new iMac is not that far away and more than 4gb of Ram will be a priority.
The files might be huge but the detail is amazing.
The D810 is in great condition and has low usage but does not have the quality feel of the D3. The current price of the D5 is way outside my league for the future bar a major lotto win. The guy in my camera shop says the pros are now buying the camera down 1 from Nikon and Canon’s top model and changing them more often. Many D810 available traded in against the D850. I looked at some of the trade in’s but hundreds of thousand clicks on the shutter put me off. I actually bought and had left the shop with a D 810 with 40k on it. We were still in town when my camera guy who is also the owner rang me on mobile phone to say he had just found another one with half the shutter clicks and to come back and exchange for same price. I am still stunned that he would bother to do this and this is why I still go back to him after so many years since my Nikon FE film days.
Ordered a few Compact Flash cards as my 4gb ones from D3 only hold 165 shots. Also ordered a bigger SD card as the back up/overflow.

Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

jon.oman wrote:I have Thom's D800 guide. It answered all of my questions....
I have not had the time to order the Thom’s Guide as we have been house bound for two days now in a city !!!
We have to make some effort to get the essentials today as milk and veg are running low.
We have never experienced weather like this ever......
We have over a meter of snow in front of house. The news on TV last night showed others with 2 meters plus and in worse situation than us. So can’t complain.
Notice that Thom’s guide is now only a download and no paper back up given by post. Things have changed since D200 and D3 editions. I know he is a one man band so his popularity must have dictated this.
Better make sure we have plenty on ink in printer cartridges as they will be getting a good workout shortly.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

My computer has 32 GB of fast memory and I can put in 64 GB. I have two 2 TB hard drives, one a master, and one the backup. The OS drive is a 500 GB SSD (Solid State Drive) drive. I recently installed PC Matic for virus protection. When they did their system analysis, they said my system is in the top 9% of computers in the world. So, I have a screamer! I built it myself, so that I could choose the hardware that went into it. I am running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

When I bought Thom's D800 guide, he had just switched over to PDF only. It was a matter of costs for printing that forced him to do this.

It is good to have a local camera store. I don't. The closest one is 90 miles away, and it has very limited items. It appears you have a good one!

I have used Photoshop ever since they bought out Photo Styler (which I owned). They gave me a free upgrade. About every 3-4 years I would buy the latest version. I really do not want to have a yearly subscription.

I always shoot NEF. I then process it and print from there. I do make JPEG's for the web.

You better stay safe! All that snow! I have not seen that since I moved from Michigan. My home town got 280 inches each winter when I was growing up. Now, they seem to average about 180 inches each year. Why don't those idiots we have in Washington DC believe in global warming? This is just one example of it!

Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

You could run a small country on that computer Jon.
I have to ring the Apple Service agent on Monday and see if he can get some more Ram into my ageing iMac.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Well, maybe not a small country.....

:) :) :) :)

Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

More Ram bought today and should be delivered early next week.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

I have an old Mac Mini. It can't be upgraded anymore. I wiped it clean and but Ubuntu Linux on it. I use it as an internal web server.