Sensor Cleaning

Any topics not covered above.
jon.oman

Sensor Cleaning

Post by jon.oman »

The time has come to clean my cameras sensors. Using a blower no longer works. I have been thinking of the Visible Dust Artic Butterfly. Has anyone used it? If so, how well does it work? This is a dry cleaning method.

Artic Butterfly

If that does not work, I was thinking of these Visible Dust products:

Visible Dust Green Swabs

Visible Dust Sensor Clean Solution

Again, has anyone used these?

JohnSR

Re: Sensor Cleaning

Post by JohnSR »

Haven't cleaned my sensors in awhile but think I purchased my cleaning kit from a local camera store and cost me $34.00. It came with eclipse solution and 6 swabs. Kind of expensive. Haven't cleaned the D3 sensor yet but think I'll just take it to the shop and let them clean it when needed. Good luck Jon. It isn't really that hard once you get the hang of it.
Three Scores and 14 years old and still going strong.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Well, I am thinking of using my D70 as the testbed for the sensor cleaning. I'm planning on converting it to infrared, so if something goes wrong, it won't matter!

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

What do you think of this idea? Design a brush sort of like the Arctic Brush but have tiny holes where the bristles attach. A hole would run thru the handle with an attachment that could be hooked to a small surgical hose that runs to a fuzz buster. Not only would it keep the brush charged but would suck out the dust. Heck it could be made and sold even with the fuzz buster for less than a hundred dollars. Of course if there is a water spot on the filter then solution treatment would be needed.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

JohnSR wrote:What do you think of this idea? Design a brush sort of like the Arctic Brush but have tiny holes where the bristles attach. A hole would run thru the handle with an attachment that could be hooked to a small surgical hose that runs to a fuzz buster. Not only would it keep the brush charged but would suck out the dust. Heck it could be made and sold even with the fuzz buster for less than a hundred dollars. Of course if there is a water spot on the filter then solution treatment would be needed.
I don't know John. Wouldn't it clog up with use? How would you keep it clean?

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

I think the dust we find on the filter is so fine that it shouldn't clog the holes. The brush could be cleaned the same way the arctic brush is. Just an idea.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

JohnSR wrote:I think the dust we find on the filter is so fine that it shouldn't clog the holes. The brush could be cleaned the same way the arctic brush is. Just an idea.
And a good idea. So, when are you going to make one?

Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

Buy from a decent Camera store and they do it for free.....

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Sparkey wrote:Buy from a decent Camera store and they do it for free.....
Let's see. The local cost of a D3 is $4950.00. Local tax is 7.5 percent. So, to buy locally, it would cost $371.25 in taxes. So, that would be the cost of having the sensor cleaned locally, even if it is supposedly free! I think I would still buy the camera over the internet, save the taxes, and only have to pay about $15.00 for shipping.

Besides, my D2x was supposedly cleaned professionally before I got it, but it has a big piece of junk on the sensor. I think I could do better myself.

Yes Peter, I should be glad I don't have to pay the VAT you do!

Oh, besides, I only have one local shop to pick from, and Ritz Camera is not the best place in the world!

Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

jon.oman wrote:
Sparkey wrote:Buy from a decent Camera store and they do it for free.....
Let's see. The local cost of a D3 is $4950.00. Local tax is 7.5 percent. So, to buy locally, it would cost $371.25 in taxes. So, that would be the cost of having the sensor cleaned locally, even if it is supposedly free! I think I would still buy the camera over the internet, save the taxes, and only have to pay about $15.00 for shipping.

Besides, my D2x was supposedly cleaned professionally before I got it, but it has a big piece of junk on the sensor. I think I could do better myself.

Yes Peter, I should be glad I don't have to pay the VAT you do!

Oh, besides, I only have one local shop to pick from, and Ritz Camera is not the best place in the world!

This island aint full yet but you would hate the weather. :lol: