Ball Heads

Discuss anything related to tripods, etc.
jon.oman

Ball Heads

Post by jon.oman »

I have a Bogen/Manfrotto 3021BPRO tripod with a 322RC2 grip type ball head by the same manufacturer. This combo was great with my D70 and D200. But, then I got the D2x, and I started having problems with the ball head. It just could not support the weight of my new camera with any large lens/flash combo. I had to tighten the grip action on the head so tight, it then became difficult to move anything. And, doing this did not guarantee that the whole setup would not move when the camera was in the vertical position. So, I just bought a new head.

The head that I ordered is this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... 325&is=REG

As you can see, it is the "Bogen / Manfrotto468MGRC2 Magnesium Hydrostatic Ballhead with Rapid Connect 2 System (RC2 Quick Release) - Supports 22 lb (10 kg)".

Hopefully, this will take care of the problem.

Has anyone run into this problem as well?

Bobby Nance

Re: Ball Heads

Post by Bobby Nance »

I have a Manfrotto grip-type ball-head, but haven't had any problems with it holding the the S5 and heavy lenses. However, I do wonder sometimes if I get too much vibration from the mirror-slap when the camera with long tele is on the tripod. I think the D200/S5 mirror/shutter system is a bit more prone to causing vibrations than that in my S3 or in my father's D300 -- but it could be my imagination.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Bobby Nance wrote:I have a Manfrotto grip-type ball-head, but haven't had any problems with it holding the the S5 and heavy lenses. However, I do wonder sometimes if I get too much vibration from the mirror-slap when the camera with long tele is on the tripod. I think the D200/S5 mirror/shutter system is a bit more prone to causing vibrations than that in my S3 or in my father's D300 -- but it could be my imagination.
How easy do you find it to move the head around with the grip? Mine protests and is not smooth at all. It tends to jerk, and is difficult to position.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Okay, the big brown truck just dropped my new ball head off at the house. I had taken the old ball head off the tripod, so installing the new one just took a couple of minutes.

Boy, what a difference! I can support all of my camera gear without any problems with it shifting at all. When I release the ball head, I can move the whole thing with ease. Positioning the head is smooth as silk!

According to the Manfrotto instructions, this ball head is for medium format camera equipment. I would highly recommend it for a camera the size of the Nikon D2x or D3, and large lenses.

Rick Shutterman

Post by Rick Shutterman »

How easy do you find it to move the head around with the grip? Mine protests and is not smooth at all. It tends to jerk, and is difficult to position.
I have the pistol grip ball head but the one where the grip is at right angles to the release plate.

I find it can be a little jerky if it hasn't been used for a while but it soon frees itself up.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Here is the latest head I have purchased:

https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/car ... ail&p=2620

This monster is to support my 8x10 inch Cambo Legend:

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

Gee Jon, you are going to have to use three telephone poles to hold it. :lol:
Three Scores and 14 years old and still going strong.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

JohnSR wrote:Gee Jon, you are going to have to use three telephone poles to hold it. :lol:
It's only about 26 pounds, including the lens! I'm using a surveyer's tripod, with the head shown in the above link.

I will be using a two wheel cart to slep it around.

Rick Shutterman

Post by Rick Shutterman »

Nah...'Just put the whole lot in a Lowe-Pro shoulder bag!!! ;)

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Rick Shutterman wrote:Nah...'Just put the whole lot in a Lowe-Pro shoulder bag!!! ;)
With all the film holders, etc. I'd rather save my back!