Thinking of a new backpack

Discuss anything related to tripods, etc.
jon.oman

Thinking of a new backpack

Post by jon.oman »

I need something to hold a good selection of gear while hiking. I was thinking of this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... 860&is=REG

What do you think? Will it get left at home because it is too big?

Sparkey

Re: Thinking of a new backpack

Post by Sparkey »

I have a couple of different sized Slingshot bags.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Sli ... 2036,4.htm

Easy to access but not sure they big enough for you Jon.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

The reason I am looking at this Tamrac, is because it is big enough to hold my 4x5 inch field camera, with a few lenses, and film holders. Plus, it is big enough when I want to carry my larger tele lenses for my D700/D2x. But, it may be so big, I may not want to carry it!

I do think that the Lowepro backpacks are too small for my needs.

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

I have the Expedition 7 which I think is a smaller version of the one you are looking at. Carrying wise, it is very comfortable. The shoulder and belly straps are well padded and the case stays in place regardless what kind of terrain a person is in. The main thing I don't like is it is hard to keep the camera and lens in the compartments once you open the flap. The small holding straps just don't do the job very well. The lens wants to slip under the straps and It wouldn't hurt to have a couple more straps to hold the camera in place when it is mounted with a lens,

Nice thing about mine is there are lots of pockets for filters and other junk. It even a couple water bottles holders on the side of the case. Have done quite a bit of mountain hiking with it with no problems with sore shoulders. They designed it so it stands off the back so air can circulate and keep the back cool. If I was to buy it again, would I? Not sure as there is lots of bags out there. If it wasn't for the holding straps, I would give it a 10 but due to that problem give it a 6. Of course if you lay it flat on the ground before opening it, there is no problem but mine is designed to open standing up.
Three Scores and 14 years old and still going strong.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Thanks for the information John. I do have one Tamrac backpack now, the model 5547. It is fine for the D700 with a 24-70 attached, and a couple of other small lenses, but not for my big lenses. I also have an older huge shoulder bag. That one normally has my gear when I am not in the woods. But even that one is too small to carry my large lenses. Considering the style I am now looking at, I think I would have to put the pack down before opening it up. If I do that, I would not have to worry about the gear falling out! All bags are a compromise.

Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

Did you buy anything Jon ?

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

I'm waiting for the end of January. I can get access to my 401k retirement fund then. I have a list of things.......

Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

jon.oman wrote:I'm waiting for the end of January. I can get access to my 401k retirement fund then. I have a list of things.......
Nice one. :D