Heh Sr.....

Miscellaneous area intended for topis of discussion that are not covered in other threads or discussion groups, including impromptu shoots, vents, ideas, whatever strikes your fancy.
JohnSR

Re: Heh Sr.....

Post by JohnSR »

I agree mule meat would be better. Isn't that bucket full of mussels. We have those on all the docks in the Puget Sound. Some eat them but they are to strong with the taste of seaweed for me. I'll take clams, oysters and crabs any day. The oysters are starting to firm up so we will start harvesting them at low tide. We are allowed 20 oysters a person but have shuck them on the beach due to the oyster larva attach themselves to the shell and starts the cycle all over.
Three Scores and 14 years old and still going strong.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

I've never had oysters, even though large oyster roasts are common locally. I really should try them sometime.

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

We only eat oysters during the months that has a "R" in them. The reason is , the oysters during the other months are to soft and are milky which makes the meat mushy. We have some of the worlds greatest oysters up here. I have tried some of the Long Island Sound "Blue Tipped" oysters and they taste acidly to me and the oysters from the Gulf of Mexico has a muddy taste and now probably a little crude oil.
The Olympic and Pacific oyster has a mellow/butter taste. They are larger that the other oysters so there are more meat before getting to the green stuff. Four or five of them will fill a pint jar. We try to harvest the medium size ones as to me they taste better. I like the medium ones rolled in flour and cornmeal and slow fried in butter. The larger ones are also ok fried but to me they are better wrapped in bacon, covered with aluminum foil and slow cooked in their juices on the grill. Would love to cook them in their shells but we have to leave the shell on the beach. And of course, to really bring the flavor out, Put a couple drops of LA hot sauce on them.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

So, what is the 'green stuff'!

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

Its their stomach, mostly seaweed

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

So, do you eat the whole thing? Or, not the green stuff?

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

You eat the whole thing. At least I do. Some people who don't really like oysters will cut it out. It is like a sack attached to the meat, Real easy to pull it loose after it is cooked. You should try them, Jon. Think you would enjoy them. My brother-in-law and his wife stopped by one day while Betty was cooking a batch. They had never tried them just because they look so slimy before cooking. They each tried one and by the time they left they had eaten the hold platter. Now they are hooked on them and try all the different recipes on how to cook oysters.
If you are going to try them for the first time, would recommend the frying method or buy a half dozen in the shells and cook them in the half-shell in their own juices, Use either the grill or oven. Think you will like them.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Yes, they do sound good!

Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

what we talking about here. :!:

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

Food, you know those little slimmy things that come out of a shell. No, not snails :D