Its the Happy New Year thread....

Miscellaneous area intended for topis of discussion that are not covered in other threads or discussion groups, including impromptu shoots, vents, ideas, whatever strikes your fancy.
JohnSR

Re: Its the Happy New Year thread....

Post by JohnSR »

If that was the case, how did those people 3-5 thousand years ago get those large stones up that high? What I read is some of those stones were transported 200 miles to that site. I don't see any rivers around that area where they could have floated them there plus even if there were, it would have taken a very large barge to float those huge stone, If it was just a place to stare at the stars why did they need the top stones. All they needed were the vertical stones.
Hey Sparkey, how about going over there and take some photos of it for us.
Three Scores and 14 years old and still going strong.

Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

JohnSR wrote:If that was the case, how did those people 3-5 thousand years ago get those large stones up that high? What I read is some of those stones were transported 200 miles to that site. I don't see any rivers around that area where they could have floated them there plus even if there were, it would have taken a very large barge to float those huge stone, If it was just a place to stare at the stars why did they need the top stones. All they needed were the vertical stones.
On way see you tomorrow. :o

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

JohnSR wrote:If that was the case, how did those people 3-5 thousand years ago get those large stones up that high? What I read is some of those stones were transported 200 miles to that site. I don't see any rivers around that area where they could have floated them there plus even if there were, it would have taken a very large barge to float those huge stone, If it was just a place to stare at the stars why did they need the top stones. All they needed were the vertical stones.
Are you talking Egypt, or Mexico? In Egypt, they were known to use the Nile river and barges to transport the cut stones. They built canals up to the pyramids. Don't forget that these were not flat on the top. They went to a point, with the fine stones that covered the pyramids. These stones were later removed to build modern towns near by. There are a couple of theories as to how they got the stones that high. One theory had them building long ramps around the pyramid. The stones were pulled up these ramps on log rollers. Later these were removed.

I'm not sure about Mexico. Although I do know that the stones used were a lot smaller there.

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

I was talking about the ruins in Mexico, Central and South America and the Stonehenge Somewhere near old Sparkey.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Okay. I'd have to read up on it.

Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

Stonehenge is in UK not Ireland.

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

Isn't UK and Ireland combined about the size of Texas?

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

I think smaller.....

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

Was reading about Stonehenge. Was surprised that it dates back to 8000 years BC. Didn't the Bible experts figure that man has only been around for 6000 years? (read that someplace). Always had trouble believing that.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

If you believe in the literal translation of the old testament, you don't believe in carbon dating.