A good book

Miscellaneous area intended for topis of discussion that are not covered in other threads or discussion groups, including impromptu shoots, vents, ideas, whatever strikes your fancy.
jon.oman

A good book

Post by jon.oman »

I just finished reading "Split Image" by Robert B. Parker. It is a "Jesse Stone Novel". Murder mystery. Tom Selleck plays the part in the movies made for television. Anyway, first book of the series that I have read, and it is a good one. The movies follow the books really well, from what I can see in this one.

JohnSR

Re: A good book

Post by JohnSR »

I'm fighting my way through a SF book which isn't very good. Do have Clive Cussler's "The Kingdom" for my camping trip next week. Have read everyone of his books. Only problem is, he is starting to kick out one every couple months. Think he uses a bunch of ghost writers and just puts his name on them.
Three Scores and 14 years old and still going strong.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

I've read and enjoyed a number of Cussler's books. I have not read anything recently.

Right now, I'm reading "Relic" by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. So far, it is interesting. My wife introduced me to these authors a few months ago. They can really tell a story! If you have not read anything by them, I would recomend them.

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

Those guys are some of my favorite authors, I have read Relic and You are right, they know how to tell a story. Not only did they write books together but have a bunch solo books. So far haven't been disappointed in any of thier books.
http://www.prestonchild.com/

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

I just finished "Spin Control" by Chris Moriarty. One of the best 'hard' SF books I have read in in long time! Good read.

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

Jon, sure glad you posted as my computer crashed and lost all my address's. It was getting old and starting to have different problems and was just getting to expensive to repair. So went down to the computer store and checked out the Apples. Didn't like them at all. It would be like going back to the beginning and learning everything all over. Plus it looks like everything is so expensive for them.

Bought another HP with a i7 processor. After getting all my favorite programs in it, Betty asked me to take some photos of quilts she had just finished. So after clicking away, loaded up Nikon ViewNX and CaptureNX. It was such a nice surprise to see how fast NEFs loaded. It was almost instant. Always hated the lag time with the old computer.

Had to buy a new printer as my old printer and scanner wouldn't work on this new operating system. Checked for upgraded drivers but according to HP, they wouldn't writing any for those two models as they were to old. Bought a Kodak all-in-one which does ok on color prints. My HP Designjet 130 large format works ok. So far all my programs work fine with Win7.

So now back up and running.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Well, glad to see that you are up and running again! I looked at the HP systems. I had my eye on one that has 8 GB of memory, and a 1 TB hard drive. The price was right, but I didn't have the money!

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

Here is the one I got. Picked it up at Best Buy for $850.00. Wanted the next model up but they didn't have it is stock. At my age didn't want to wait that long :lol: Found out to put another hardrive or DVD burner would have to buy extra power cables as the insides have changed and instead of all the power lines coming right off the power supply, they are plugged in to the motherboard which requires special cables.
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopp ... pe+h8-1020

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Wow! That looks like a great PC for the price. No wonder the speed is good!

One of the things I have done with my home PC, is attach two USB backup drives. Both are 1 TB in size, to match my internal drive size. With these drives, I have two mirror images of my main drive. One is a desktop unit that should not be moved, and the other is a laptop version that can be. I have the laptop version here with me in Iowa, so I have access to all of my files.

I wrote a backup program that does it the way I want it to. After the initial backup, it just backs up changed/added files. I did not like the commercial versions of the backup software that came with the USB drives. They were on constantly, and made my system crawl! With my software, I can control when I want the backup done, and it uses batch files to determine what to backup. It works very well! I currently back up about 600 GB of files. I still have room to grow it. The only thing I do not back up, are system files, and programs that I have the CD's for.

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

Decided to put one of the hard drives from the old computer into this one. Won't work. The cable plugs are different. Instead of using the ribbon, the new one has a small cable. Same thing with the DVD. So went down and picked up a new HD. It is a 1.5T so now have 2.5 T of storage. What in the hell am I going to do with all that storage. The reason I wanted another HD is I don't like cluttering up the C drive so use the second drive as my fun drive and there wasn't that much difference in cost between the 1T and 1.5T. Anyway it is in and partitioned and formatted. Seems to be working.