As its nearly June again......

Miscellaneous area intended for topis of discussion that are not covered in other threads or discussion groups, including impromptu shoots, vents, ideas, whatever strikes your fancy.
JohnSR

Re: As its nearly June again......

Post by JohnSR »

Spent yesterday cleaning out a shed where I had stored lumber from the old mill. Didn't realized there were that much lumber. Betty reminded me that the lumber had been in there for 14 years. There were fir, hemlock, oak and alder. Probably 2000 B/F of well seasoned boards. The alder looks very nice so plan to make a couple cabinets out of some of it this winter.

Now need to clean the shed out and replace the floor. It will become my planer room. It will be fairly easy to remove the chips. That is one problem I hate about planning is getting all the chips cleaned up. There is always such a big pile that the vac can't handle it. Normally use a snow shovel.
Three Scores and 14 years old and still going strong.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

I know what you mean. I have a small planner for my shop. But, I have it attached to a huge special made vacuum system. The only problem, is that the bags on that vac sure fill up fast!

How is the grain on that alder? Is it like oak, or maple?

Talking about lumber, I think I have about 10 B/F of birch left from my last cabinet build. I'm forced to buy my lumber at retail from a local lumber company. One of the reasons I have not started to make the desk I promised my wife.....

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

Alder is classified as a hard wood. The grain is so tight, it is like looking at sheet of paper. It can be stained to look like about any wood.
Three Scores and 14 years old and still going strong.