Oak Log

Place to post your images just for fun, no critiquing unless asked.
Sparkey

Re: Oak Log

Post by Sparkey »

JohnSR wrote:
Sparkey wrote:You could always make me a shed for my bike. :mrgreen:
Don't think Oak would work to good. Would hate to try to drive nails though the boards. Probably have to drill each hole. Oak is like driving nail through iron. :roll:

that a no then .................... :lol:

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

JohnSR wrote:The old guys around here keeps telling me to buy one but I am still holding out. I just like to see the nails going in the boards. Besides I have tried to pull some of those nails. Almost impossible. I like the screw idea better. Can take apart something real fast that way. I do use a electric screwdriver though :roll: Been out this afternoon planeing(sp) lumber from the kiln that is dry to 8 percent moisture. Didn't realize I had that much in there. All are 2X4X8 and 2X6X8. Probably won't get done until tomorrow. Then I need to load the 1X stuff in the kiln. It probably won't be in there very long as it has been air drying most of the summer.
I bet you have a moisture meter?

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

Sure do. Left over from my last go around at milling logs. Now thinking of building an edger. Have been doing it on the mill but it would be nice to have a dedicated edger next to the kiln. Regardless how accurate a cut is, when it comes out of the kiln, it need a little trimming to take out the problems caused in the drying process. Was checking the price for one and just can't justify another $5,000.00. Can build one for around $200.00 as I have lot of the material on hand.
Three Scores and 14 years old and still going strong.

Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

Delighted to see you are enjoying this Sr.

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

Thanks Sparkey----Just noticed this is my M post. Took awhile to get here :roll:

Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

JohnSR wrote:Thanks Sparkey----Just noticed this is my M post. Took awhile to get here :roll:

only 25 behind now...... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

JohnSR wrote:Thanks Sparkey----Just noticed this is my M post. Took awhile to get here :roll:
Nope! You're at 1001!

Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

still 25 though

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

Boy am I tired. Ran all the lumber that was in the kiln through the planer. It was 2X4X8 and 2X6X8s. Finished the last board at dark. Of course up here dark is at 4:30 pm. Now have the kiln ready for the oak. Wanted to put the oak boards on the bottom then stack green Douglas fir planks on top. The oak takes about four times as long to dry plus want to process it very slowly so don't get checking and end splits. Will just have the fans on for the first month before applying heat and steam. So tomorrow back to the sawmill and get the oak off. Be interesting to see how many BF I will get out of it

Let me know if you guys are getting tired of my Sawmill journey. I'm enjoying it so much just want to share.

Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

Keep the stories coming Old Man :mrgreen: as very interested in what you doing.
How do you lift all this stuff ?
Any pics ?