Oak Log

Place to post your images just for fun, no critiquing unless asked.
JohnSR

Oak Log

Post by JohnSR »

A friend came over today with this large Oak log. Will be able to get lots of solid boards out of it. We don't have that many Oaks in Western Washington and most are small with the center being hollow. To get one this large and solid to boot is very unusual. Don't know what I am going to do with the lumber but sure next spring will find some use for it.
Three Scores and 14 years old and still going strong.

jon.oman

Re: Oak Log

Post by jon.oman »

I'd take it off your hands if I lived next door!

He did not want any of it?

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

I have supplied him with so much lumber, he really don't have any use for any more. He is in business removing trees so I get quite a few trees from him. By the way those log dogs on the side of the log in the photo are one foot tall so that kind of gives you a idea how large the log is.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Yep! That is a big one!

I wonder what the cost of shipping would be? Since I have a budget of about $200 until the end of the year, I could not afford that either......

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

Jon, I need some ideas on how thick and wide I should cut this log. I can get several 16 inch wide boards out of it. If you were going to build something and you could have whatever thickness you wanted what thickness would you be looking for? Hate to just cut it into one inch boards. Am thinking of cutting it into 5 inch cants and just storing them until someone wants them then cut them to whatever he wants. Only problem 5X16X6 foot long is going to weigh a lot. Don't know if I would be able to stack them for drying. Would like to get them into the kiln but don't think Betty and I would be able to move them. I cut some 12 foot long by 9 inches wide by true 2 inches thick for the tree service guys trailer floor bed and could just barely get the boards off the mill and those were Douglas firs which weighs about half what this log weighs. Might have to hire someone to help me with this.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

I usually make furniture. So, one inch planks would be what I would want. I would thickness plane them to 3/4 inch for panels, etc. Even for table legs and the like, I would use the one inch boards. I like to glue up thicker pieces from the boards. It helps to control warping.

For this next year (a bucket list item), I want to build a large weaving loom. For that, I would like 4x6 inch beams. The loom I have in mind will be a masive one for weaving carpets. To do a good carpet, you need a lot of strength, because of the amount of tension required. It is not like weaving a table napkin!

I wish I had your problems of what to do with that lumber!

Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

You could always make me a shed for my bike. :mrgreen:

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

Sparkey wrote:You could always make me a shed for my bike. :mrgreen:
Don't think Oak would work to good. Would hate to try to drive nails though the boards. Probably have to drill each hole. Oak is like driving nail through iron. :roll:

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

JohnSR wrote:
Sparkey wrote:You could always make me a shed for my bike. :mrgreen:
Don't think Oak would work to good. Would hate to try to drive nails though the boards. Probably have to drill each hole. Oak is like driving nail through iron. :roll:
That is where an air nailer comes into play. I think it can be done, but don't get too close to the edge......

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

The old guys around here keeps telling me to buy one but I am still holding out. I just like to see the nails going in the boards. Besides I have tried to pull some of those nails. Almost impossible. I like the screw idea better. Can take apart something real fast that way. I do use a electric screwdriver though :roll: Been out this afternoon planeing(sp) lumber from the kiln that is dry to 8 percent moisture. Didn't realize I had that much in there. All are 2X4X8 and 2X6X8. Probably won't get done until tomorrow. Then I need to load the 1X stuff in the kiln. It probably won't be in there very long as it has been air drying most of the summer.