Hogle Zoo

Place to post your images just for fun, no critiquing unless asked.
NWcityguy2

Hogle Zoo

Post by NWcityguy2 »

I just got back off vacation and visited Hogle Zoo in Salt Lake City, UT. It is a nice zoo that isn't too big and flooded with people. This zoo has a bit of history for me because I volunteered there for a summer before I was old enough to get a job. If anyone has been there, there used to be a log cabin just to the left of the main entrance with all the "Did you know?" facts and trivia. I worked there a few hours a week answering tough questions like, "Where's the nearest restroom?", "What time is it?" and "Does it bite?" I also got to clean out the cockroach display. Once I got in the zoo the first place I headed was to my old stomping ground, only to find out they tore it down and replaced it with a conference room! So sad...

http://www.pbase.com/adam_and_misti/hogle_zoo

Those are the first few, but I have a bunch more I need to go through.

JohnSR

Re: Hogle Zoo

Post by JohnSR »

Have always liked turkey photos. There is just something about that bird other than going on the Thanksgiving table that I find interesting. Your photo brings back some memories so for you newbies here comes a "Getting Old" story.

Back in the 70's when the kids were young, we decided to raise turkeys. After doing some research, discovered they were kind of hard to raise so we decided to start with 12 babies. I don't know where the author got his info because all twelve grew up. We had turkeys all over the place. Couldn't even walk in the yard for the doodoo.

There was this one bird that grew faster that the other and was the king of the yard. He would puff himself up and strut around the yard attacking everything that got near him including the kids. One morning my wife went out to feed the flock and old Tom was waitting for her. He nailed her good. She lost her cool and booted the turkey across the yard. Feeling bad about what she did, she went over and pet the bird. He just squatted down and enjoyed the attention. Soon as my wife turned around to come back in, ole Tom nailed her again. Well you can guess which bird was on the Christmas table.

After that experience, we never tried to raise turkeys again.
Three Scores and 14 years old and still going strong.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

NWcityguy2 wrote:I just got back off vacation and visited Hogle Zoo in Salt Lake City, UT. It is a nice zoo that isn't too big and flooded with people. This zoo has a bit of history for me because I volunteered there for a summer before I was old enough to get a job. If anyone has been there, there used to be a log cabin just to the left of the main entrance with all the "Did you know?" facts and trivia. I worked there a few hours a week answering tough questions like, "Where's the nearest restroom?", "What time is it?" and "Does it bite?" I also got to clean out the cockroach display. Once I got in the zoo the first place I headed was to my old stomping ground, only to find out they tore it down and replaced it with a conference room! So sad...

http://www.pbase.com/adam_and_misti/hogle_zoo

Those are the first few, but I have a bunch more I need to go through.
That is an interesting story, and some great images!

NWcityguy2

Post by NWcityguy2 »

JohnSR wrote:Well you can guess which bird was on the Christmas table.

After that experience, we never tried to raise turkeys again.
I had a friend a few years back who raised a couple turkeys and had the exact same problem. Dumb birds... Of course he was very clear as to their fate. One was named Thanksgiving and the other Christmass. They sure are interesting looking though, kind of a cross between noble and goofy.