New darkroom

Traditional film, film processing, lab processing, chemistry, paper, traditional printing processes and conservation.
JohnSR

Re: New darkroom

Post by JohnSR »

Do you think it will get hot in there? I remember my darkroom in LA. Could only work in it at night. That was before portable air conditioners :D
Three Scores and 14 years old and still going strong.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

I bought one of the roll around air conditioners. It has a hose that you normally attach to a window panel. Instead mine will be attached to a light baffle in the wall. Anyway, I should be able to use the darkroom even in the heat of the day. The conditioner is rated to cool a room about twice the size that I have.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Today I taped the seams. Tomorrow, I will mud. I had other things to do today.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Well, I finally finished the mudding! On Monday, I will start sanding. I figure I may be able to put the first coat of primer on by next Friday. But, things keep getting in the way!

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Well, I'm only off by one day! The sanding is done! I will put the first coat of primer on tomorrow. Second coat of primer on Sunday, and the final top coat on Monday. At least, that's the plan!

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

The painting of the ceiling and walls is done. Part of the floor has a coat of gray floor paint on it. I'll have to wait for it to cure, until I do the other side, since I have to move things from one side to the other then. My son is going to help me move my plate burner into the darkroom this weekend. I still have to plumb in the sink and hot water heater, put the door in, and make the AC light baffle. But, that will have to wait until I get back from Iowa near the end of July!

Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

We need pics.................... :o

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Right now, it is just a white room with 9 outlets and two wall switches. I'll take some images this weekend after the plate burner is there.

Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

Look forward to seeing your handywork Jon.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Okay, here are some images of the darkroom as of today.

This is the plate burner on the farm table I built about 15 years ago. You can see that the walls are very white, and the floor will be painted gray. I still have to paint the rest of the floor behind the camera. The farm table was made from lumber I salvaged from an old picnic table. There's a story in that!

A closeup of the plate burner. It worked when I picked it up, and should work now. I'll have to test it.

My 4x5 inch enlarger that I have had for over thirty years! The sink will actually go where the enlarger is now.

This is the fiberglass sink. I have a metal frame for it that needs to be put together. The unfinished part of the wall will be the light baffle for the AC unit.

Just to show you what is kept in the rest of the shed!

I still have to put the door in, put up the darkroom curtain in front of it, install the kick plate, install the hot water heater and sink, paint the rest of the floor, and do the light baffles for the AC and input air.

But, I will not have any more time to work on it, since I need to prepare for our Iowa trip. We leave on Saturday!