New darkroom

Traditional film, film processing, lab processing, chemistry, paper, traditional printing processes and conservation.
jon.oman

New darkroom

Post by jon.oman »

I'm in the process of building my darkroom. About 8x15 feet. Everything is framed in, and the electrical is about 75% complete. Next comes insulation and drywall. Finally, I have to get a plumber in to put in the water line and the drain. I plan on putting my plate burner into this room so that I can start making cyanotypes. I hope to have the electrical and insulation in by the end of this week, and will start on the drywalling first thing next week. That is probably the slowest part of the whole process! All that mudding and sanding.

I am actually putting in a 10 gallon hot water heater. It works on 120 volts, but I had to put in a 25 amp line, with #10 wires. That will take care of the winters here, but for the summer I will need to cool the solutions down. The best I can do now is ice in a water jacket.

JohnSR

Re: New darkroom

Post by JohnSR »

Sounds like you been busy. Are you going to drywall before getting the plumbing done?
Three Scores and 14 years old and still going strong.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

I have been busy. Wiring is done, except for the water heater. The plumbing has to be completed before the heater is wired. The wire for the heater has already been pulled and connected to the electrical panel.

I plan on doing the drywall first, then the plumbing. The plumbing will be under my darkroom sink. The drain and the cold water line will go directly through the floor (or maybe the wall, depends on how the plumber wants to do it).

Tomorrow I will start on the insulation. With luck, I will have the ceiling drywalled before the weekend is done. I'll work on the walls next week.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Well, this won't get done any time soon. I put my back out. Worst ever. I can barely walk at this point. They say that I will need physical therapy. Oh joy! If this works out like the other times, it will be more than a week before I can walk without pain. This happens to me about every five to six years.

Once I'm back on my feet, I will have to look into having someone hang the drywall for me. I should be able to do the mudding and sanding myself, but I'll get quotes on both that and the hanging.

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

Geee Jon sorry to hear about your back. I just got over a problem with my ankle. It just seems to come and goes in different parts of my body. I blame it on to getting old. Normally it last about a week then goes away by its self. Guess I will have to discuss it with a doctor one of these days.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Well, my back is just about the same as yesterday. I still can't stand up unsupported, so I still have not taken a shower. I hate that!

JohnSR

Post by JohnSR »

Boy Jon, you must have really banged up your back when you can't even take a shower. Hope it gets better. Hate having pains and as I get older they seem to come more often.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

I remembered that we have a portable shower chair. We had to use it when my wife was going through her cancer treatments. I was able to use it today, so I could take a shower. I feel much better because of it!

I know what you mean about getting older. But, I don't like the alternative!

Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

This place is starting to sound like Gods waiting room.......... :o

Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

Only joking Jon. sorry to hear about your back. So easy to do. Hope you better soon. :D

Still waiting on that photo Sr............. :lol: