Ceramic Pinhole Cameras

A forum for the discussion of pinhole camera building, modification, repairs, D.I.Y., etc..
jon.oman

Ceramic Pinhole Cameras

Post by jon.oman »

Now, this is something different!

http://www.steveirvine.com/ceramic_cameras.html

JohnSR

Re: Ceramic Pinhole Cameras

Post by JohnSR »

Those were interesting. Was wondering how you determine the exposure time?
Three Scores and 14 years old and still going strong.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

JohnSR wrote:Those were interesting. Was wondering how you determine the exposure time?
It is based on the ISO of the film, and the f-stop of the pinhole. The f-stops range from about f120 to f350. I can generate a chart that will give you an effective ISO for the f-stop that can be used with a light meter. For my 4x5 inch pinhole camera, the f-stop is about f225. With ISO 320 film, and looking it up in the chart, I know that I need to use an ISO of 12 with my light meter, and I use an f-stop of f45, since that is the smallest f-stop the meter can use. Other than that, it is just a matter of using the light meter to determine the number of seconds for the base exposure, and then I use a chart to determine the reciprocity effect exposure time.

Simple right?

earl.johnson

Post by earl.johnson »

I own one of Steve's cameras. He is a very accomplished ceramic artist. He taught a workshop here in Minnesota about 5 or 6 years ago at which I built my own ceramic camera. His cameras are some of the best examples of functional art that I have ever seen. My camera is number eleven as you count down on the page displayed when you click on the link above.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

I have liked his pinhole cameras ever since I saw the first one. I would like to have one, but there are too many other items on that wish list....