Fujifilm DSLRs

Discuss all things related to any other DSLR cameras.
Bobby Nance

Fujifilm DSLRs

Post by Bobby Nance »

If anyone is interested in Fujifilm's DSLRs, I use both the S3 and S5 Pro. Some of you may already know that Fujifilm uses a unique sensor design in order to gain about 2 additional stops over conventional sensors.

jon.oman

Re: Fujifilm DSLRs

Post by jon.oman »

Bobby Nance wrote:If anyone is interested in Fujifilm's DSLRs, I use both the S3 and S5 Pro. Some of you may already know that Fujifilm uses a unique sensor design in order to gain about 2 additional stops over conventional sensors.
Welcome to my little forum Bobby!

I did look into the S5 Pro before I got my D200. I almost bought it. I think that it is a great camera with great DR. I know that you do a really good job with it!

Bobby Nance

Post by Bobby Nance »

Thanks, Jon. I look forward to participating here, but find myself mindlessly clicking the Save button, since it's first in line, before realizing I should have clicked the Submit button. Once I've clicked Save, I then find I can't go back and if I proceed with saving my draft, I don't see any way of getting to that draft to send it. It would be nice for slow board members like me, if the Save button could be moved to a less conspicuous place -- if that's possible.

You certainly do a wonderful job with your "off-brand" version! ;)

BTW, the S5 is being discounted for some unannounced reason in Europe and Canada. Some folks in the US have gotten the S5 for about $999 -- a terrific bargain.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Bobby Nance wrote:Thanks, Jon. I look forward to participating here, but find myself mindlessly clicking the Save button, since it's first in line, before realizing I should have clicked the Submit button. Once I've clicked Save, I then find I can't go back and if I proceed with saving my draft, I don't see any way of getting to that draft to send it. It would be nice for slow board members like me, if the Save button could be moved to a less conspicuous place -- if that's possible.

You certainly do a wonderful job with your "off-brand" version! ;)

BTW, the S5 is being discounted for some unannounced reason in Europe and Canada. Some folks in the US have gotten the S5 for about $999 -- a terrific bargain.
I'll look into the Save button. I've run into that myself. Maybe it can be totally disabled.

Remember, you can use brand name Nikkor glass on your S5!

I just ordered a new HYDROSTATIC ball head for my tripod. I found that the one I had just can not support the weight of the D2x when I have my 300mm prime and 2x extender. Forget about adding the SB-800! The new head will support up to 22 pounds. That is where some of my money is going this week. After that, it's just glass!

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Okay Bobby, the Save button is history!

Boy, did they have that buried!

Bobby Nance

Post by Bobby Nance »

Thanks, Jon. I like the preview/submit options just fine!

And I've liked every Nikkor lens I've used; it's just that they're a bit pricey for my budget!

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Bobby Nance wrote:Thanks, Jon. I like the preview/submit options just fine!

And I've liked every Nikkor lens I've used; it's just that they're a bit pricey for my budget!
I have the 50mm f/1.8, 60mm f/2.8 Micro, 70-300 f/4-5.6 (non-VR), and the 300mm f/4.5 AIS MF lenses. All of them are Nikkor lenses. I also like them all! Although, each have their weaknesses.

I do have that wonderful Sigma 180mm f/3.5 Macro that your dad uses. That is another great lens!

You seem to do well with your Sigma lenses. How do you like them? I've been thinking of getting a few more of these, starting with the 10-20mm.

Bobby Nance

Post by Bobby Nance »

I'm happy with the Sigma 70-200, but I chose to go with the Tokian 12-24 over the Sigma after reading a bunch of the reviews -- both formal and informal. I gave the positive Tokian reviews slightly more weight, since Tokina is less widely known than Sigma. I figured if so many folks were so happy with a somewhat off-the-beaten path product, it had to be good. So far, my only complaint is the chromatic abberation in tree limbs and such (which I expected), and it appears to correct pretty well. I also preferred the range of the Tokina, since I wanted a wide-angle but hoped to avoid some of the frustration of having it limited as much as some of the others on the long end. This fits very nicely, by the way with my Tamron 24-75, and that also helped push me in Tokina's direction.

The Tokina's a very solid piece of kit, too, as the Brits might say, and it seems to respond well on the D200 body and AF/metering system -- which can be finicky. Some of my recent landscapes were done with it -- in particular the lake scene with the figure to the left and the big sky. I'll post some others for you, too.

jon.oman

Post by jon.oman »

Bobby,

Thanks for the input. I'll have to check that one out (12-24).

Sparkey

Post by Sparkey »

That Fuji model never really took off over this side.

Price dropped big time since arrival of D300. :?